For as much importance that is stressed on the choice of wheel materials, sometimes, bearing selection doesn’t get a fair shake. The right bearing can be the difference between a successful solution, and a problem in the making. When selecting a caster, consider the following when selecting the bearing for the application:
- How much does the cart and load, combined, weigh?
- For lighter applications, you can use Delrin, Roller, or Plain bearings
- For heavier applications, use Roller or Precision Ball Bearings.
- In what manner will the equipment be moved?
- If it’s a push-pull application, consider Delrin, Roller or Precision Ball Bearing
- If it will be towed all the time, use a Tapered Bearing.
- If it’s a combination of the two, use a Precision Ball Bearing.
- Will it be exposed to considerable amounts of moisture, like a wash-down application?
- If so, use a Delrin or Stainless Steel Precision Ball Bearing.
- If not, any bearing will do.
Take a look at these questions, by answering them, you should be able to get a good idea of what kind of bearing you’re application requires. Beyond these, consider any ergonomic or environmental requirements.
If you need some more information, please contact us for help!